As you may or may not remember, my brother is getting married this summer and I’m one of the bridesmaids. The bride’s colors are pool blue and purple so I have naturally been thinking about what kind of nails to wear for the wedding. When I won the giveaway on Mae’s Beauty Reports one of the awesome extras she included were some periwinkle, slightly color shifting gleequins. What’s a gleequin? Well, Sammy from The Nailasaurus called them that and the name just stuck. They’re too big to be glitter, but too small to be sequins.. hence- GLEEQUINS!! When I saw the gleequins I knew I had to do some nails ASAP with them and it dawned on me that a simple mani using them would be perfect for the wedding!! The colors being pool and purple were perfect because these gleequins flash both a blueish color and purple… it was like a sign from the nail polish gods! This is my first attempt with 3D(ish) nail art, so be gentle. Haha.
Jelly Grey and Gleequin Nails:
How To Get These Nails:
- Base coat.
- Apply 3-4 coats of Nfu Oh JS03.
- Apply one coat of topcoat to one nail (I use Seche Vite, you can use whatever works for you).
- While the topcoat is still wet, use a toothpick or cuticle stick dipped in a little topcoat to pick up a gleequin and place it in the middle of you nail about 1/3rd of the way between your cuticle and free edge, closer to the free edge.
- Re-dip your toothpick/cuticle stick in topcoat and pick up another gleequin and place it to the right of the first, repeat this step for the remaining gleequins to place them on the right and left side of the original.
- Repeat steps 3- 5 for all nails.
- Carefully cover nails with topcoat.
- Ta-daaaa!!! Admire your lovely nails!! 😀
As it turns out, I wont be able to wear these nails to the wedding because all us bridesmaids have to have the same nails. 😦 That’s too bad, but I’ll still be wearing these nails again. I got lots of compliments when I wore them out and about and people were amazed I did them myself. The jelly polish with the color-shifting gleequins just gives such a polished and pretty look. These are some of my favorite nails, for sure. I can’t wait to use these some more and get more gleequins!! Must. Get. More. GLEEQUINS!!! 😀
Have you used any gleequins before? I hadn’t and I absolutely love them. Let me know what you think! Till next time, thanks for reading and Happy Polishing!! 😀
PS: If you haven’t seen it already, you have to check out Alaina from The Little Canvas’ Gnome Nails. Click here to see them. The post is pretty much making fun of me and shows some pictures I’ve posted on Twitter and Instagram and she just completely proved that what you post online can come back to bite you. ;p It’s probably my favorite post ever. Please go take a look at it. Her nail art is incredible and this post is just hilarious.