Hey Hey Hey!
Here we are, it’s Monday again and you know what that means… Breast Cancer Awareness nail time! 🙂 The nails I will share today are some of my favorites. It all started with this travel mug from Dutch Brothers. I saw they had them for sale for the BCA month of October, I passed on getting one one day, went back to get one 4 days later and they were sold out. Completely sold out in the entire city and neighboring city. My sister-in-law knew I really wanted one and wanted one herself so one day she drove to TWO quite far away towns to find us each a mug. It was so sweet of her to look that far and wide!! 🙂 She was successful (yayyy!), so of course I had to do some matching nails. 🙂 Doesn’t everyone match their nails to their coffee mugs? Pshhh you all are missing out.
Pink Ombre Owl Nails
How To Get These Nails
- Base coat.
- Paint your nails with one or two coats of Jessica Skin Deep. This is a super-sheer nude that’s perfect for that bare half-moon look without actually being bare.
- Apply Seche Vite and allow to dry thoroughly.
- Use hole reinforcement stickers to tape off the half moon of each nail.
- Paint each nail with 2-3 coats of each polish in this order (for the record, my thumb was white) Ulta Baby Doll, OPI Pink Friday, ChG Naked, OPI Koala Bear-y.
- Using the color one shade darker than the nail you’re working on, add the large dots for the eye background (I used the back of a fattish paintbrush), the wings and the dots on the chests. For the darkest owl I used black.
- Using OPI Flit A Bit (orange) make a litte beak for each owl.
- Using a white polish and a large dotting tool make white dots for the eyes. Then use black polish and a small dotting tool to make the pupils for your owls.
- When all of your paint is dry (leave PLENTY of time especially for the eyes!!) apply your topcoat VERY carefully. Make sure to never touch the same spot on the nail twice with your first coat of topcoat. You’ll probably want a couple of coats because the design needs a little smoothing out.
- Show your friends!!! These are some of the cutest nails I’ve done in recent history, even if somewhat imperfect. If you’re not that into pink, make sure to check out Alaina’s owls that she did for our half-moon mani day. She used fall colors and hers were just too dang cute!! 🙂
Julep Nail Parlor has an ongoing Powered By Girlfriends Initiative and has teamed up with the Edith Sanford Breast Cancer Foundation to bring more awareness for the cause. They have sent emails out to their collaborating bloggers with the following infographic on breast cancer by the numbers. I wish I’d had this all along because it’s wonderfully informative. Please feel free to share it. Just because October is ending does not mean that we don’t need to stay aware and informed. 🙂 Thank you in advance.
Just for fun if you want to see my somewhat-rough, very first attempt at owl nails, check out this old post! I just re-read that post and man was that a blast from the past!! Haha. It was in the first real serious months of my blog. Awwww it was just a baby then. 😉 Anyway, I hope you enjoyed these! Let me know what you think in the comments below!! Thanks for reading and till next time- Happy Polishing!! 😀
Nicole.. you’re an artist!! I’ve seen your evolution (LOL) from being the stamping queen to a nail artist queen.. i loved these nails. i love owls..! i think i will copy them.. for sure. of course i will give you the credit.. omg. i love these nails.
Thank you so much!! I’ve really been trying not just to always stamp stamp stamp so I’m glad you’re noticing a bit of an evolution. 🙂 I hope you do them! I can’t wait to see! 😀
you’re very good!!! and i feel like a pro when i do polka dots LOL.. well.. this thing need practice.. there are a lot of techniques, I will tweet you the blog of a dear friend of mine, she used to live in Panama but she married and moved to the US and she does a lot of free hand nail art.. she’s good and she’s sharing a lot of tutorials lately!!
That sounds fun!! Do share. You can post it here too if you’d like. Speaking of polka dots I’m working on some tonight. Wish me luck!!
good luck on your polka dots!! here’s my friend blog: spurplecastle.blogspot.com she’s good
Thanks! She’s great!!! I just checked out her blog but I can’t comment except with a google account… is that how it always is?
i think you can comment with yr wordpress user.. but I always use my google account, because my dog’s blog is hosted on blogspot.
Hmm ok I’ll have to see. Maybe it was just a weird thing. 🙂 thanks. 🙂
Nicole, these are AMAZING! So adorable! Job well done!
“Doesn’t everyone match their nails to their coffee mugs?” Hahaha, if I did that, mine would be rather boring. 😉
Thank you so much!! 😀 I’m glad everyone’s not like THESE SUCK! cuz I thought they were so dang cute!
Aw these are so cute, Nicole! I love that they’re ombre too! Great awareness nails ❤
Thank you!! When I got this mug I was like, “I have GOT to do some pink owl nails!” 🙂
Super cute owls and cute mug! I’ve never even heard of dutch bro’s before but I want one.
I wish I could just go buy up like 10 and give them to everyone!! Too bad they were apparently super limited edition. 😦
These are adorable!
Thank you thank you thank youuuu! 🙂
This has to be the MOST ADORABLE manicure EVER!! And I’m not speaking in hyperbole at all. I’m dying from cuteness overload over here, and its for a good cause!
Whoa whoa whoa… deep breath. Jk. Thank you so much!!! I’m absolutely overjoyed that everyone is liking it so much!! 🙂 thanks again!!
Yeah, I got a little excited. Lol 🙂 still, they’re adorable and one of these days I will actually try to replicate them!
I bet yours will turn out even better! 🙂 I can’t wait to see… I’ll be patient. 😉
They are super cute…and you know that’s a lot coming from me since I hate all birds. Fo real, yo!
I hate birds too! Haha. But not if they don’t move and are made of polish!! 🙂 Thanks, G. 😉
Super cute nails, and that mug, freaking adorable!
Thank you!! I love the mug, too. It was so hard to find! I guess everyone loves them!
HOLY BALLSACKS. These are the cutest things I’ve seen in daaaaaaaaaaays ❤
Thank you so much!!! I’m glad you think they’re so cute that you just had to shout out about ball sacks! Haha. Never had that happen before, these MUST be good. 😉
Pingback: Darth Vader in… pink!? « Nailsforall
O.m.geeeeeee i LOVE them love the cause and info, these are absolutely fan tabulous!!! ❤
Hahaha thank you so much!!! I really liked that infographic from Julep. I wish I’d had it all along!
MAN! Adore these!
Thank you so much!! 🙂 And thanks for the follow and leaving a comment. Hope to see you around more! 🙂
Pingback: Sparkly Degradé « El diario de mis uñas de colores