I saw some super-cute nautical nails on Pinterest (the best link I can find is here , if you know the original source, please let me know) and wanted to copy them for Valentine’s Day. I chose to do my hearts facing my free edge instead of my cuticle, but overall I think I did a pretty good copycat 🙂 Take a look and let me know what you think:
Nautical Heart Nails:
How To Get These Nails:
- Apply your favorite base coat. I used Essie Feed Me.
- Apply 2 coats of OPI Alpine Snow, then one coat of Seche Vite. Allow to dry thoroughly. (Just as a fun fact: I had only painted one hand white when I realized it was time to go to my husband’s basketball game, so I actually went to the game with one hand painted white and the other naked only with base coat! I was trying to refrain from clapping and not show my hands.)
- When the white is dry, use tape or straight french manicure polish guards to tape off a couple of strips of white nail on each finger. Press the tape down firmly so you don’t get any seepage.
- Once all the nails are taped off, paint one nail at a time with one healthy coat of Cult Nails Time Traveler. As soon as you’re done with the coat of Time Traveler, remove the tape from that finger. I waited a little too long and the polish set up and marred some of my nails when I removed the tape. 😦
- Repeat step 4 for all nails.
- Allow the blue to dry to the touch.
- Use Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in Rapid Red and a toothpick or unbent bobby pin (that’s what I use) to dot a heart on each nail near the free edge. You can play with the placement of the heart on each nail, or keep it consistent.
- Allow your nails to dry quite thoroughly before you apply your topcoat. When mine were dry I used one coat of Seche Vite and two coats of Sally Hansen Mega Shine (which I applied later in the evening).
- Admire your super-cute, sure-to-be-noticed nails! 🙂
I absolutely love these nails!! I’m wearing them for an unprecedented 3 days! 🙂 People have complimented me on them a ton, and with my Seche/SHMS topcoat duo my nails still look perfect even after going to the bball game, scrubbing cups out after my art classes, tutoring, showering, etc. I swear, that combo is like armor for your nails! These nails are on my list of faves for sure.
What are your favorite nails that I’ve done? What are your favorite nails to do yourself? Please share using the comment form below. I love to hear what other people are wearing! Thank you for reading and until next time, Happy Polishing!!!