This is a simple design and will have people asking, “Hey, how’d you do that?!”
What you need:
- Base coat
- Light colored nail polish (I used Ulta Baby Doll)
- Newspaper, cut into ~1″ squares
- Small dish of rubbing alcohol
- Top coat (I used Seche Vite for this manicure)
How to get this look:
- After applying your base coat, apply the light colored nail polish until it’s opaque. I used 3 coats of Baby Doll.
- Allow polish to dry. You may want to apply a coat of Seche Vite to speed up the process.
- When your polish is dry, place a square of newspaper in the dish of rubbing alcohol and allow to soak for about 10 seconds.
- Remove from alcohol and place print side down (whichever side you want) on nail.
- Hold down for 45 seconds, carefully peel off to remove. The ink will stay on your nails.
- Repeat steps 3-5 for remaining nails. Don’t worry about newsprint on your skin, it will wash off easily with soap and water.
- When all your nails are covered, apply a coat of Seche Vite or your favorite non-smearing top coat and voila! you have stare-worthy newsprint nails!
You’ll notice I smudged the print on my middle finger of my right hand, but I could have easily fixed it in a second. All you need to do if you smudge something is wipe your nail with a cotton ball dipped in the alcohol. It will wipe off the print, but leave your polish perfect.
I wore these for a few days this week and got lots of compliments. It’s slightly subtle, but very cool. It would be awesome to cut out certain letters and use them to monogram your nails…. or maybe try using pages from an old book… This mani makes me want to try a LOT of things. 🙂
Have you ever done this to your nails? How did you make yours special?