It’s not secret that I love glitter on my nails, but sometimes I want to do a little something different than just slap 4 coats of sparkling glitter on. Sometimes I like layering a thin coat of glitter over a complementary color of nail polish, and sometimes I only like part of my nail to be glittery and I tape off my nail on the diagonal and only glitter half of it. Also, glitter works really well as an accent finger. Around Christmas last year I painted my fingernails bright red and had my right ring finger painted to opacity with a gold glitter with teensy red bits of glitter sparsely mixed in. It was really pretty!
Today, I am going to show you my glitter gradient nails with a blue base. This is a super easy manicure and looks very pretty.
What you will need:
- Base coat
- OPI Ogre the Top Blue (Shrek collection) or any blue polish
- NYC 105 Starry Silver Glitter (or another slightly sparse glitter polish)
- Your favorite top coat, I used my SHMS
How to get this look:
- Paint your nails with your base coat, allow to dry for a minute or two.
- Paint your nails with the blue polish. Don’t forget to wrap your tips!
- Paint 4 thin coats of the glitter polish on your nails, as follows: coat 1- paint from the cuticle to the tip.
- Coat 2- if you divided your nail into 4 even sections, #1 being closest to the cuticle and #4 being at the tip, paint sections 2, 3 and 4 with the second coating of glitter polish.
- Coat 3- paint sections 3 and 4 with the glitter polish.
- Coat 4- paint only section 4, and this time apply a somewhat thick layer. You want the tip to be close to opaque but not super thick and swollen looking. The NYC Starry Silver Glitter is a really pretty polish. It’s mostly tiny silver glitter, but there are a few medium round blue and lavender glitter pieces thrown in the mix. My camera kind of made them just look like little dark spots, but they were pretty and sparkly in real life.
You can see my nails and hands were a little messy from swatching my OPI Muppets Glitter polishes right before doing these nails. Oops! Sometimes a little glitter just has to wear off. 😉