So with Halloween fast approaching I need to bust out my Halloween earrings also, I needed to do something Halloween-y with my nails. I had them glow-in-the-dark when I went to a haunted maze, but that’s not flashy enough for my liking. The kids I work with are going to want to see something cute when I’m pointing things out on their papers. 🙂
There are lots of cute ideas out there (check out my list of favorite blogs for excellent ideas) from candy corn to blood splatter, Frankenstein to Pumpkins… but I had my two ideas narrowed down- skulls or mummies, and ultimately (at least for the next couple/few days) I went with mummies. This mani is REALLY easy, you just need a steady hand, which is NOT my strong suit. Haha.
What you need for this look:
- Base coat
- White nail polish
- Black nail polish pens or polish with a tiny striping brush
- Red nail polish
- 2 toothpicks, preferably square but you probably could get the round ones to work
- Your favorite top coat. You know mine, but for this particular mani I used OPI topcoat as a sealing coat (to avoid smearing of the fine black lines) and then my first use ever of Seche Vite.
How to get this look:
- Apply your base coat and allow to dry for a few minutes.
- Paint your nails white, I used OPI Alpine Snow, and it was opaque enough for my liking in 3 coats. Depending on what you use you may need more or less coats.
- Cover the white polish with a layer of good topcoat to seal it before the black lines are drawn on. Allow top coat to dry thoroughly.
- Using the black pen or tiny polish brush, draw a large haphazard Z from the base to the top of your nail. Next draw a few straight lines from the Z out to the sides of your nail.
- Fill in with black between two of the straight lines about 1/3 of the way up your nail from your cuticle. This will be where the eyes peek out.
- Darken with black a small area about 1/4 of the way down from the tip of your nail. This will be the mouth. If I did it again, instead of just thickening a line here, I would draw a tiny sideways oval for my mouth. Just FYI.
- Put a dot of white paint on a piece of paper and dip the small end of the toothpick into the white paint. Use the end of the toothpick to dot 2 white eyes in the middle of the darkened area towards your cuticle that you made in step 5.
- Put a dot of red polish on a piece of paper and use the same method as you did the white polish to dot a little red dot in the middle of each “eye.”
- Repeat steps 4-8 on all your nails.
- Apply top coat and admire your handy work 🙂
What are you trying with your nails for Halloween? Let me know if you’ve came across any cute ideas. 🙂