Hey Hey Hey!
Here we are, it’s Monday again and you know what that means… Breast Cancer Awareness nail time! The nails I will share today are some of my favorites. It all started with this travel mug from Dutch Brothers. I saw they had them for sale for the BCA month of October, I passed on getting one one day, went back to get one 4 days later and they were sold out. Completely sold out in the entire city and neighboring city. My sister-in-law knew I really wanted one and wanted one herself so one day she drove to TWO quite far away towns to find us each a mug. It was so sweet of her to look that far and wide!! She was successful (yayyy!), so of course I had to do some matching nails. Doesn’t everyone match their nails to their coffee mugs? Pshhh you all are missing out.
Pink Ombre Owl Nails
How To Get These Nails
- Base coat.
- Paint your nails with one or two coats of Jessica Skin Deep. This is a super-sheer nude that’s perfect for that bare half-moon look without actually being bare.
- Apply Seche Vite and allow to dry thoroughly.
- Use hole reinforcement stickers to tape off the half moon of each nail.
- Paint each nail with 2-3 coats of each polish in this order (for the record, my thumb was white) Ulta Baby Doll, OPI Pink Friday, ChG Naked, OPI Koala Bear-y.
- Using the color one shade darker than the nail you’re working on, add the large dots for the eye background (I used the back of a fattish paintbrush), the wings and the dots on the chests. For the darkest owl I used black.
- Using OPI Flit A Bit (orange) make a litte beak for each owl.
- Using a white polish and a large dotting tool make white dots for the eyes. Then use black polish and a small dotting tool to make the pupils for your owls.
- When all of your paint is dry (leave PLENTY of time especially for the eyes!!) apply your topcoat VERY carefully. Make sure to never touch the same spot on the nail twice with your first coat of topcoat. You’ll probably want a couple of coats because the design needs a little smoothing out.
- Show your friends!!! These are some of the cutest nails I’ve done in recent history, even if somewhat imperfect. If you’re not that into pink, make sure to check out Alaina’s owls that she did for our half-moon mani day. She used fall colors and hers were just too dang cute!!
Julep Nail Parlor has an ongoing Powered By Girlfriends Initiative and has teamed up with the Edith Sanford Breast Cancer Foundation to bring more awareness for the cause. They have sent emails out to their collaborating bloggers with the following infographic on breast cancer by the numbers. I wish I’d had this all along because it’s wonderfully informative. Please feel free to share it. Just because October is ending does not mean that we don’t need to stay aware and informed. Thank you in advance.
Just for fun if you want to see my somewhat-rough, very first attempt at owl nails, check out this old post! I just re-read that post and man was that a blast from the past!! Haha. It was in the first real serious months of my blog. Awwww it was just a baby then. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed these! Let me know what you think in the comments below!! Thanks for reading and till next time- Happy Polishing!!